Friday, March 27, 2009

Universal Healthcare is Great if Don't Need It

Mitt Romney's promise as a Presidential candidate was heavily based in the statewide health care initiative he had run in Massachusetts, affectionately referred to as "Romney-Care". Showing that the basic fundamentals of economics will not politely wait for political capital to run its course, that system is now faltering.

It is a credit to the news networks that people aren't terrified of government run health care. The government took over our national education system, and now we have kids who are proficient in standardized tests, but lack critical thinking and science skills. The only city that the government runs is the Murder Capital of the United States.

When regular market incentives are removed from a system that depends on them, things fall apart. I heard an excerpt from Obama's Internet presser yesterday where he said "Surgeons will no longer be paid based on how many surgeries they do, but on the outcomes of those surgeries." That sounds nice, but what if there is a surgery that has a 20% chance of saving my life, a 20% chance of having no effect, and a 60% chance of killing me out-right (this surgery appears quite often in Grey's Anatomy, so I will have to assume that such operations exist). If I want to take that 20% chance, Obama-care will incentivize the doctor to refuse! Not only that, but my opportunity for second opinions, rare medical procedures, and the like will evaporate.

A medical market (as harsh as that phrase sounds) will be worried about outcomes, but will also allow patients more options in how they would like their care to progress. The patient is in charge, not the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment